Friday 15 May 2015

Day 44 7 May 2015 Reims to Lille

As we make our way through France from Strasbourg I had the opportunity of getting some photos of the ridge of the Battle of Valmy 1792 which had a monument and windmill.  This was an artillery exchange rather than a battle but it was the first of Revolutionary France against external invaders.  It had the windmill as well but I doubt it’s the original.  Not exciting for most people but I was excited. 

We arrive In Reims and have a tour of the Notre Dame cathedral, I had no idea that Notre Dame was like a franchise in every major city and it was a quite impressive building.  After it was destroyed during WW2 and rebuilt. Coincidently, we arrived in Reims on the 70th Anniversary of the signing of the surrender to end WW2 in Europe, the EXACT city where it was signed.  Stalin complained that the German Officer signing wasn’t senior enough so they did the exact same thing the next day in Berlin.   (It was a power thing for Stalin.) 
As we travelled towards Lille I was able to spot the ridge top of Laon (1814) where Napoleon had unsuccessfully attacked Blucher - bottom photo. I’m such a nerd but I have been working on a wargaming scenario of this battle so for me that was exciting.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment